Frequently Asked Questions
We have summarized frequently asked questions to Edo Tokyo Apartment. Please find the answer to your question here first.
- 1. Do you accept short term guests?
I am plannning to travel Japan for a couple of weeks and looking for a cheap accommodation.
- 1. Our contract is monthly basis, meaning we require the first 30 days rent even if you are staying less than 30 days. However, it can still be cheaper than staying daily basis hostel; if you are staying for about 14 nights at a 4000 yen / night hostel, it would be 56,000 yen while we only charge 35,000 yen for the same period.
- 2. Is there a security locker?
- 2. There is no security locker in the apartment. Please keep your valuables by yourself. However, there are security cameras installed at the common areas.
- 3. Do I have to pay the utility fees?
- 3. You don't have to pay the utility fees for the first 30 days. From the 31st days, we ask you to pay the utility fees.
- 4. Is there internet access in the apartment?
- 4. We provide free Wi-Fi access. Please bring your own device to access to the internet. You are not allowed to connect with LAN cable to your PC, though.
- 5. Is there any age limit?
- 5. No, but we require your parents' permission if you are underage (19-yrs-old or younger). Anybody who can not fend for yourself is not accepted at our apartment. The youngest guest is 1 year old. Of course he was with his mother and his mom was here to see her new work place in Tokyo. The oldest guest is 80 years old. She was selling her house and getting ready for her new life at a nursing home. Another example is a 16 years old high school student. She was attending a high school in Tokyo and her parents were worried about letting her live by herself.
- 6. I have quite a lot of stuff. How much lubbage can I bring?
- 6. It depends on the size of the room but aproximately 2 to 4 boxes can be stored in your space.
- 7. Can I register as a resident of Edogawa-ku by using apartment address?
- 7. Yes, you can. There is the city office of Edogawa-ku and you can do the official paper there as well.
- 8. How long does the opening special price last?
I am planning to go to Tokyo near in the future but don't know the exact date yet. I want to stay when the special offer is still available. How long does it last?
- 8. We will keep offering the special price until the end of this fiscal year.
- 9. Do you have a private room?
- 9. No we don't. We only provide dormitory rooms. We'd like you to meet people from all over the world and experience different culture. However, if you are coming with your boyfriend/girlfriend, you can share one room with your partner if a room is available.
- 10. Is there a hair dryer?
- 10. No. Please bring your own.
- 11. Can I park a bicycle or a motorcycle?
- 11. Yes. You can park for free.
- 12. Do you provide futon, matress, pillow, and sheets?
- 12. Yes, we do. Please wash them (sheets) by yourself during your stay.
- 13. What kinds of people live in the apartment?
- 13. There are working holiday makers, university students, those who are on internship in Japan, those who are seeking job in Tokyo, those who simply work everyday, artists, backpackers, those who are back in Japan temporarily, and many other kinds of people. There are some people who base on here and travel Japan. Sometime, married couple come here to live for a while.
- 14. Can I receive mails and packages?
- 14. Regular mails are delivered to the mail box of the apartment. If you are getting something that needs to be received in person, you have to wait and receive it by yourself. If you are in inporting-exporting business and receive exceeding amount of packages, we don't receive or keep them everytime. Please use different address for your business.
- 15. Is there curfew?
I like to go out drinking and might come home late at night. Is there curfew?
- 15. No, there isn't, however, please keep quiet after the light-out (11 p.m.)
- 16. Can I extend my stay? How much would it be?
I am planning to stay in Tokyo for several months. How would the rent be calculated?
- 16.The rent from the second 30 days is 39,000 yen (2 people dorm room) or 30,000 yen (4 people dorm room), depending on the size of the bed. We will charge daily basis from the second month and it is 1,500 yen / day.
- 17. When does the rent start? Can I transfer the rent to your bank account?
When do I pay the rent every month? My work routine is irregular. Can I transfer the rent to your bank account?
- 17. The rent period starts from the day you moved in. Please pay the rent every 30 days. If you would like to transfer the money, you have to pay the transaction fee.
- 18. Is there a bath at the apartment or is there a public bath nearby?
It seems that there is a bath tun in the apartment but can I use the bath tub? Is the shower free?
- 18. Hot shower is 100 yen / 10 min. If you want to use a bath tub, there is a public bath houses in walking distance. It is 460 yen.
- 19. Is there a washing machine? Can I hang my clothes to dry?
- 19. There is a coin-operated-washing machine. It is 100 yen / time. Laundromat is usually by a public bath. They charge 200 yen.
- 20. Is there air conditioner and heater? Can a resident adjust the temperature of the machine?
- 20. It will operate at night during summer and winter. The timer and temperature will be set by a staff. We don't respond to an individual request.
- 21. Can I use the kitchen? I want to cook by myself and save the food costs.
- 21. Yes, you can. There are basic cooking tools such as refregirator, rice cooker, microwave, and so on.
- 22. Is there female only dormitory?
- 22. Yes, there is a female only dormitory but the living room is not separated.
- 23. Who cleans the room / house?
- 23. Helper staffs clean the common area. Please clean your own bed space by yourself.
- 24. Are there a grocery store or a convenience store near by?
- 24. They are all located in walking distance. There is a grocery sotre called "Co-op" near the house and 7-Eleven is only a minute from the house.
- 25. Is it safe to walk around at night near the apartment?
- 25. There are many restaurants and street lights around Shin-Koiwa station area. People walk around pretty late at night so it is quite safe.
- 26. Do you hold any tour or activity for the residents?
When I stayed at a guethouse in Okinawa, there were some event or party and I enjoyed a lot. Do you hold any party or tour?
- 26. We plan to hold Hanami party, fireworks viewing, Mt. Fuji climbing, and Christmas party. Guests themselves hold parties.
- 27. Is it close to downtown?
I go to Tokyo for work. Is it located in convenient area?
- 27. Yes, it is very convenient to go to down town. The closest station is Shin-Koiwa station on JR Sobu line, about 9 min. on foot. It is about 30 min. to Shinjuku without changing train, 13 min. to Akihabara without changing train, 14 min. to Tokyo without changing train, 20 min. to Ueno.
- 28. I work at night. Is it possible to sleep during a day?
I am thinking of moving to apartment to save some money. Is it possible to sleep during a day?
- 28. Basically, there is no problem but if you let us know when you move in, we might be able to arrange your location.
- 29. How long does it take to go to a touristic spot?
I am going to Tokyo with the working holiday visa and wishing to do some sight seeing when I don't work. How far is it to go to sight seeing spot?
- 29. There are many touristic spots.
- 30. Can I smoke in the apartment?
There are many non-smoking places recently. Is there any area where I can smoke?
- 30. It is non-smoking inside the building. You can smoke outside at the designated spot.
- 31. What time can I check in?
- 31. Our business hour is from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., however, we can arrange the time if you tell us in advance. Please contact about it first.
- 32. What time is the check-out time?
- 32. Check-out time is noon but the living room is available until 17:00 on the day you check out.
- 33. Can I charge my cell-phone in my bed?
Is there an outlet and a light in each bed?
- 33. There are two outlets in each bed.
- 34. Is there parking space?
I am planning to drive my car to Tokyo. Can I park my car?
- 34. We don't have a parking space. Please use a coin-operated parking near our apartment. There are monthly parking as well but please reserve it by yourself in advance.
- 35. Can I leave my luggage after I check out?
I want to travel other areas before I leave Japan. Can I leave my luggage while I am traveling?
- 35. We charge 500 yen per luggage per day.
- 36. Can I rent a bike?
I want to cruise around Tokyo with a bycicyle. Is there a bike that I can rent?
- 36. Yes, and it is free! However, we will charge you 5,000 yen unless you return the bike as it was.
- 37. What should I do in case of natural disaster such as big earthquake.
I experienced the great earthquake in Tohoku and would like to know what would happen if such a disaster occurs.
- 37. Staff will guide you to safe area. Also, you can go to the nearby designated evacuate spot.